Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Slinky...Slinky




My grandson was visiting the other day.  Yes, he plays with his mother's IPhone.  Yes, he plays with all the latest toys and gadgets his parents will let near him.  But I realized something that day.  Whenever he comes over, he always gravitates to the most simplest of toys we have at our house.  He will choose the most basic of toys, usually a ball, and then have at it.  The other day it was a slinky; and by his reaction you would have thought it was the most amazing toy ever.  EVER.

Where have all the old toys gone?  Where have all the slinkys gone?  Now in order not to appear old, cranky and unyielding to change - i DO have modern toys, games and amenities in my house.  After all, I still have three teenagers living here and I certainly want my life to be stress free.  "Stress free" translates here to not having to hear constant whining about why we don't have every single new gadget that comes out.  "Mooooom!  All my friends have one and you are the ONLY mom who won't get one and don't you want me to be happy???".

But I miss the old toys.  I miss the balls and the slinkys and the whistles and jacks and hulu hoops and kites and crayons and chalk.  I miss the imagination they inspired.  I miss the interaction they inspired.  I miss the simplicity they inspired.  I miss toys.

For now, I watch my grandson play.  For now, I watch the innocence of a young boy enjoying a totally useless piece of spiraled plastic going boing boing boing down my staircase.  Slinky on, sweetie.  Slinky on.

2 comments:

  1. I love slinky! Remember the song? Thanks for the good ole memories...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I so agree with you! It's funny to see how much money parents spend on latest gadgets for their kids when simple, classic toys seem to entertain them best (and keep their imaginations running!).

    ReplyDelete